Brakes translate a push of a pedal to slowing down your car – but how? Learn how brakes work, about the physics of braking and see a simple brake system.
Know the Signs & Stay Ahead of Brake Problems
- Screeching, grinding, squealing, rubbing, and other eardrum-piercing noises are common indicators that your brake pads & shoes require inspection. This should be addressed before worn pads cause damage to other parts, which could result in more expensive repairs.
- Vibration and pulsation in the pedal or your steering wheel. If this is a familiar feeling, your brake system is telling you something. Wait any longer, and your rotors might get warped from the metal on metal rubbing, potentially costing you a lot more in repair. Call us as soon as possible if you are experiencing this unpleasant problem.
- Pressing down farther to complete braking functions. This symptom is not as prevalent as it used to be, but if you’re pressing down farther than usual on your brake pedal to stop your car, requiring more pressure and time to perform the same stopping function, you have entered the first stage and sign of brake pad wear. Don’t play around with your brake pedal, you can only press so far before you’re in a frightening, “I have no brakes” predicament.
- That pungent burning smell near your tires is screaming “help!” If you’re detecting noxious odors emitting from your tires, stop what you’re doing and please call ShadeTree Repair. Unfamiliar and pungent smells, such as what you’re experiencing, are not normal and could have dangerous consequences if you continue to drive under these unsafe conditions. Your best solution is a brake inspection to see what part of your braking system has been compromised while driving with this smelly symptom.
- Brake warning light. If your brake warning light comes on contact us as soon as possible brake warning light is not normal and is an indicator something is wrong we can perform a brake inspection.
If you believe your brakes are failing or feel they are not performing to design capabilities please do not hesitate to contact us your braking system is all that stands between you and a serious accident brake power is one of the most important safety systems your vehicle has.